Friday, February 18, 2011

Read Read Read

Lately I have been obsessed with reading. Like most things my hobbies have phases. I will sew, sew, sew for two weeks and then get so sick of it that I'll move onto something else. I may make 30 baby hats for my mom and then move onto scrap booking. But lately the kick I have been on has been reading. I think a big part of this is because for Erin's Christmas/Birthday present I bought her a kindle. It just so happened that the day it arrived her tech savvy father was away on business and not wanting to lose the joy of the first fun day with a new toy, I registered her under my account. I figured that I would do that so she could start reading and then eventually her parents would move her onto their account. This hasn't happened yet and I'm so GLAD! It has allowed me to share the books I've downloaded with her, and has also made me seek out books that she would really enjoy, and in the end so have I! It has been a great way to read, and then we always have things to talk about. For a long time we would just share the occasional phone conversation or text message, and now I hear from her so much more. We get to share things about books we loved, and also talk about books we've heard might be really good.

So lately my kick has been reading, and mostly Young Adult fiction. I told Erin I would buy her her first book of her choosing. Her friends had been reading "Hunger Games" and that was the book she wanted me to buy first. Let me tell you... I bought the first book for her.... but the next two in the series I totally bought for me :) We both read and loved the series and now Sarah is immersed in the second book as well. I think one of the things I love about Young Adult fiction is that it is an easy read, something that you can slip into so easily. Not that many Adult fiction books won't do this as well, but I just love young adult books. In the past month I have read

The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mockingjay
Books 1-4 of the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson
The Lost Gate - By Orson Scott Card
The Invention of Hugo Cabret - by Brian Selznick

That's 9 books in 4 weeks. And that doesn't count the dozen or so books that I've read the first chapter or two of (kindle lets you preview books for free) and now I have a whole list of books I want to read. I checked out a few at the library today, requested a few others, and bought another one on my kindle.

I've also noticed a change in the boys over this time too. I haven't taken reading to an extreme where I'm neglecting them by any means, but they do see me reading much more. I generally read during breakfast, they usually wake up from nap to find me reading, I'll read while they are playing in the bath, in the evenings etc. Matthew has picked up books much more often and wanted me to read to him, or asked me what I was reading, and Ian has shown more interest and patience in reading too.

It's great all around!

1 comments:

Kelsy Crutchfield said...

I love Orson Scott Card. Haven't read The Lost Gate, though. Must not be available at the CC Library, cause I've read all of theirs!

Gotta highly recommend The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Amazing. Got it at the library.

Post a Comment