Thursday, February 4, 2010

It's been a while

It's been a while since I've written anything on here. It seems that life just goes so fast sometimes that I don't have time to take a breath, and when I do, I prefer to do it in my sleep!

I've been struggling with getting good sleep lately, somewhere along the line I became a very light sleeper. I think I've been a light sleeper for quite a while, but was always able to find the time to get good sleep somehow. I remember waking up every morning to the sound of people leaving through the garage in New Mexico. Even times when the cars weren't in the garage. I understand the convenience, not having to manually lock a door. And my lesson from that was to never have the bedroom which shares a wall with the garage! But Erin and her parents travelled quite a bit, there were quite a few weekends when they were out of town and the whole house was quiet, and they left regularly for the day or evening, then again I was studying a lot of the time too. Maybe the difference was that I was already so sleep deprived that the sleep I got was good.

Here we live about 3 blocks from the interstate, which in reality has a bit of a soothing sound as there are cars going on it regularly, however when you're trying to fall asleep the whizzing noise isn't too helpful. Then there are the train tracks about 1/4 mile away, and Emporia has not learned the smart system of Kearney, you can hear the trains over a mile away. Not to mention they have TONS of crossings, so the whistle goes on for about 2 minutes before you stop hearing it. Add on top of that a baby that wakes up a couple times a night, a 3 year old who wakes up about half of the nights a week either needing to pee, or crying (for no particular reason), a cat that meows at the door, and the normal sounds of a neighborhood and house. But even with all of those things the two main causes to my lack of sleep are 1. not being able to fall asleep quickly, even when exhausted 2. knowing that I can't truly fall asleep deeply because I need to wake up to the crying etc.

It seems that I picked the wrong day to stay up and do things. Every day this week I've tried to take a nap when Matthew and Ian are sleeping. Never have they both been asleep for more than 30 minutes at the same time. But I got a nap yesterday when everyone was in Burlington, and an OK night of sleep last night, so today I decided to do some laundry, cleaning, checking email, etc, and TODAY is going to be the day that they both get good naps and I could have slept :) That's how it goes I guess :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment